An Excerpt from Breaking Free (Book 1 of the SEAL Team Heartbreakers)

I'm working on the 7th book of my SEAL Team Heartbreakers Series BREAKING HEARTS.  I already have the cover (to be introduced later). And I've been plotting this thing for a while now. Bowie is the true heartbreaker of the team and I've decided he needs to fall hard. He's possibly the most complicated character in the series because of his backstory. (I'll say that while I'm writing him until I get to the 8th book, Derrick Armstrong's story) 
But until I get BREAKING HEARTS done, I thought I'd publish excerpts from the other books each week. 
Of course I have to start with the first book published in 2011.  It doesn't even seem possible that I've written 5 more books and 2 novellas for the series since then but I have. And there will be 2 more full lengths before the series will transition to another SEAL Team. 

That being said... here's an excerpt from  Breaking Free (Book 1 of the SEAL Team Heartbrearkers Series)


Zoe heard her mother’s door close down the hall and struggled to rise from the bed. She couldn’t sleep until things were settled between Hawk and her. She wouldn’t be able to stay under his roof, if they didn’t try to reach some kind of understanding.
Her leg ached as she made her way back down the hall to the kitchen. The exterior door stood open to the porch and she stopped at the threshold and scanned the room.
Hawks arms stretched along the edge of the hot tub and his head was tilted back against a cushion. Ropy, well-defined muscles stood out in his neck, shoulders, upper arms, and chest. Though she knew every muscle, had anyone asked her to recite the names at this moment, she wouldn’t have been able to identify a single one. Black hair dusted his chest just above the waterline. The size and strength of him awed her. The beauty of him stole her breath and made it hard for her to swallow. She forced air into her lungs and tried to block off the physical response that made it difficult for her to focus.
She took two decisive steps into the room. “I didn’t want to go to bed without settling things between us.”
His lids rose, his pale gray gaze fastening on her face for a moment before they slid downward over the faded sweat pants and cropped t-shirt she wore. He homed in on the two-inch band of bare skin just above her waistband, and a tempting tingle arrowed downward. Her knees grew weak. How could he make her hot and wet with just a look?
“I wondered when you’d be back to bust my chops.” He sat up from his reclining position. “I was out of line earlier.”
Surprise kept her silent for a moment. “I’m not here looking for a boyfriend. I’m here for Brett.”
“I know that.”
“I’m not a flirt or a tease either.”
“If what I said led you to believe I thought that, Zoe, you’re mistaken. I’m sorry.”
He hooked his hands upon the rim of the tub and hiked himself up on the wide tile edge around it.
After the first glimpse of a rock hard six-pack bisected by a thin line of hair that disappeared beneath a brief black swimsuit, she averted her gaze. She wandered to the screen door to focus her attention outside until she could get her breathing under control.
“My concern wasn’t just about the cohesive condition of my team, Zoe. I was concerned about you, too.”
Sure. The only blip she made on his radar screen was as a possible problem for him or his team.
“The men have been pressuring you.”
“They’d be that way with any woman who came within their scope. It’s the male way of being friendly. Because I’m Brett’s sister, they’ll tease and flirt, but they’re not really serious about pursuing me.” She forced herself to face him, just to prove to herself she could do it and still breathe.
Hawk probed her expression. “I heard Bowie ask you out, and it didn’t sound like he was just interested in flirting.”
Her cheeks grew hot. “I’m sure he’s used that same line, and his killer dimples, with great success on any number of women. I didn’t take him seriously.”
His frown set his features in lines of masculine aggression. “Why not?”
She’d learned the hard way that men were only interested in girls who could keep up with them. To him and his men, a five-mile run was probably a cakewalk. There were days, walking across the room was like running a marathon for her.
“I’m not interested in a temporary relationship.”
“Who’s to say it would be?”
If she’d harbored any hopes he was the least bit interested in her, he’d just doused them. That was a good thing. He was doing her a favor. Being involved with a military man wasn’t what she needed anyway. Seeing Brett in his condition offered her enough heartache already.
She leaned back against the door facing and studied his expression. “Are you encouraging me to go out with Bowie?”
“No.” A frown drew his brows into a V above the bridge of his nose setting his features into intimidating lines. She wondered what he would be like truly angry. Probably scary as hell.
“I’m glad you’re not trying to tell me what to do because we both know I’ll do as I please.”
A warning glint lit his pale gray gaze as their eyes met. Just when she began to grow concerned they were about to have words again, a smile broke across his features and he laughed.
“How’s the knee?” she asked, changing the subject. “You’ve been on it a lot today.”
“It’s feeling better after a few minutes in the hot tub. Why don’t you join me?”
Even knowing he meant nothing by the invitation, her pulse hammered at her throat and wrists. A fantasy of all that smooth skin and hard muscle, wet and warm beneath her hands, flashed through her mind. “I haven’t got a bathing suit.” She hoped her voice sounded normal.
“Then come in, in what you have on now,” he suggested. “You could cut your sweats off into shorts so the water can circulate around your legs.”
Though tempted, too many painful past experiences triggered a feeling of panic that made it hard for her to swallow.
She forced a smile to her lips. “And ruin the fashion statement I’m trying to make,” she teased.
“We’ll pick a bathing suit up tomorrow at the PX then.”
“I have other things to spend my money on right now, Hawk.”
“I’ll spring for it. You can’t come to California and not have a bathing suit. This is the surf, sand, and sun state.”
She couldn’t meet the challenge she read in his gaze; she’d learned that the hard way. “I appreciate the offer, Hawk, but I probably won’t have any time to enjoy the surf and sun and I’m certainly not too fond of sand.”
“It isn’t one of my favorite things, either, since BUD/S training.” He pushed off the rim of the hot tub back into the water. “You could lie down on the lounge and talk to me while I soak.”
She hesitated, torn between the inexplicable attraction he held for her, and her need to keep him at a distance. The more time she spent with him, the more difficult it would be to ignore her response to him. And what if he discovered how she felt? Her stomach rolled and she placed a hand against it.
She turned to find him watching her and her legs grew weak.
“It could be dangerous for you to stay in the hot tub alone,” she said as she stretched out on the lounge and drew a pillow beneath her head. “There have been instances of people being overcome by the heat of the water and drowning.”
“That would certainly be an ironic end to my SEAL career. You’d better stick around.”
His droll tone made her laugh. She wiggled and turned on her side. She intercepted a smile that softened his features and brought an answering one to her lips.
As hard as he tried not to look, Hawk’s attention rested on that thin strip of pale skin visible beneath the bottom of her cropped t-shirt. He ached to reach out and follow the hollow dip of her belly to her navel with his fingers, then his lips. The drawstring dangling just below her belly button seemed to be giving directions. His gaze followed the round curve of one breast clearly defined beneath her t-shirt as she tucked her hands beneath her cheek.
-->
He found the combination of sensual young woman and innocence tempting as hell. He drew a deep breath and, closing his eyes, tilted his head back against the cushion again. Maybe it was a good thing she wasn’t in the water with him. He’d grown hard as a torpedo and the possibilities were just too explosive.

The Blurb: 
-->
When Lieutenant “Hawk” Yazzie rescues Ensign Brett “Cutter” Weaver during a mission in Iraq, his faith in his team’s loyalty is shaken. Someone in the team attacked Cutter and left him for dead. But who?

Zoe Weaver races to her brother Brett’s bedside. He stood by her while she fought her way back from a devastating injury, and she’s determined to do the same for him. Though drawn to Hawk’s good looks and steady strength, she’s reluctant to get involved with a man in uniform. But with Brett lying in a coma, Hawk may prove the key to what happened to her brother.

Hawk is torn between loyalty to his men and his need to see justice done. When he tries to save a troubled teammate’s career, he unwittingly puts Zoe’s life in danger. Can he lead the rest of the team in a rescue operation to save her? Or will one of Hawk's brothers in arms destroy the woman he loves?


And by the way this first book in the series is FREE  everywhere. 

Google play: http://bit.ly/1KFpqJF

I hope you enjoyed my excerpt.  Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. And I'd love to hear from you.  

If you'd like to sign up for my newsletter http://bit.ly/I7TtiC  or follow me on my Author page on Amazon http://amzn.to/1j6OYPg you'll know when my next book will be out. 

The next book will be DEEP WITHIN THE STONE.  I'm hopeful it will be out for Halloween since it's a paranormal romantic suspense.  

I have a fantastic cover created by Tracy Stewart my fantastic cover artist.  



Here's the blurb:

THE BEAUTY…


Like Michelangelo, gifted sculptor Genevieve Warren believes her purpose is to set free the beings she can sense trapped inside the stone she carves. But she’s never had a sculpture speak to her like the rare 14th century gargoyle left out in the elements to crumble in a castle garden. Because of Scottish antiquity law, she can’t buy him, but she leases him and has him shipped home. However, she’s left to wonder why his owners are so eager to get rid of part of their history.

THE BEAST…

Finlay MacLeod has spent centuries as a monster. Stone by day and beast at night, he craves an escape from the endless loneliness of his existence. When Genevieve cares for the stone sculpture as though he’s real, he hopes he’s found someone who will care for the monster imprisoned inside it, too… help him end his suffering.  But first he must reveal to her he’s alive.

THE CURSE…

Genevieve becomes aware there are mystical things afoot when she’s told dark magic surrounds the sculpture she’s imported. The reality of what she’s welcomed into her life is more fantastic and compelling than anything she could have imagined.

But there’s more than one kind of monster prowling the hills and valleys of Superstition. One has decided that only Genevieve can feed his many hungers.  He’s watching, waiting, and moving closer every moment.

Read on!
Teresa Reasor  
-->


--> --> -->

Comments

Unknown said…
I absolutely love this series! Hard hitting but so romantic too!
Thanks so much for saying so, Jackie. I appreciate it. Thanks for stopping by.
Teresa

Popular posts from this blog

Kallypso Masters and Nobody's Perfect

The Parasite Archetype

Writing Through